Friday, June 1, 2012

Painting "Poplar Changes"


Painting "Poplar Changes"


The first thing I did was blend the shy using cobalt blue, titanium white, paynes grey and a bit of yellow orchre.  I used yellow orchre and cobalt blue with t. white to make the color for the ground and blended that in making it darker as I moved forward.  Last, I added a cloud that's very similar in color to the sky.

Next I used cobalt blue, yellow orchre and paynes grey to block in some trees on the right.  At this point I have in mind where the light will come from and I use different shades of color as I block in.

Now I begin to paint in a tree to the left.  This will be my center focus.  I start with a thin trunk then build on it.  I basically use it to structure how I will paint the rest of the tree.
Next I add leaves.  I start with a dark shadowy color, in this case I choose a dull purple because I plan on painting yellow leaves.  Since purple is yellows complement, the yellow will look brighter.  After painting a layer of dark leaves, I paint yellow on top.  I use yellow ochre for a mid tone and yellow medium for a highlight.  I also start to add color to the trees on the right.


 
I then add two more trees in the foreground to the right.  They also have yellow leaves so I follow the same procedure.  I leave these two trees less detailed to draw more focus to the left. 
I continue to add details in areas I see fit and put some yellow orchre in the foreground. 

So was this helpful?





Check out more of my work at

Its monthly!
Its Free!
It gives you discounts!











No comments:

Post a Comment